COVID-19 cases stop ‘Hamilton’ at the Majestic this weekend
The San Antonio Public Theater has also announced changes to its schedule due to the latest wave.
SAN ANTONIO – The theater community of San Antonio is once again struck by COVID-19.
As the highly contagious omicron variant extends the pandemic and skyrockets local numbers to start 2022, local businesses are suspending operations, including the highly anticipated return of “Hamilton” to the Majestic scene.
The Majestic announced via social media on Friday evening that this weekend’s shows had been postponed, citing “groundbreaking positive COVID cases within the company.” The development affects shows scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with no announced catch-up date at this time.
Instead, the Majestic encouraged those planning to attend this weekend to keep their tickets, adding that from now on, “all future performances should go as planned.”
The latest wave, which resulted in more than 25,000 new cases identified by local health authorities in the first week of the new year, is also affecting plans for the San Antonio Public Theater, which was to create “35MM: A Musical Exhibition “Friday January 14th.
This opening has now been postponed, according to the theater. Staff say they explored all possible scenarios before suspending.
“Really, it all happened quickly and suddenly, and there were some aggravating factors that led us to make this call,” said Claudia de Vasco, executive artistic director of The Public, who said the cast and theater staff were tested weekly.
It was when a positive rapid test result was confirmed Sunday as a diagnosis of COVID-19 that the repeat for “35MM” ended early. It didn’t take long for several other staff to say they learned of possible exposure to the virus in recent days.
To add to this, our testing clinic, which generously provides us with free tests, was unable to send staff to the theater for testing due to understaffing and the flooding of its clinic. with citywide testing needs, ”Vasco added, making this impossible. for the public to comply with the requirements of the Actors’ Equity Association.
For now, she said, the group has suspended rehearsals “until the number of cases starts to drop.” De Vasco and his team hope to provide an update on the status of the “35MM” by the end of January.
On Thursday evening, the organizers of the official Martin Luther King of San Antonio, Jr. March, an event that draws hundreds of thousands of people each year, announced that they were canceling an in-person event for the second year in a row.
This is a developing story. Check back to KENS5.com for updates.